CAN SOME FOODS CAUSE PIMPLES?
“Does chocolate give you pimples?” is a common question and recent studies suggest that it’s the sugar, not the cocoa, in chocolate that’s to blame for break outs. While no foods have been proven to cause pimples directly, there are foods that make you break out.
Sugary and processed foods with a high glycaemic load set off a chain-reaction that might be responsible for an acne breakout.
Foods that can cause break outs include:
- Fried chips
- Pastries and Cookies
- White bread
- Soft drinks
When you eat these foods, your blood sugar, and in turn your insulin levels, spike.
Insulin causes your sebaceous glands to produce more oil. This often contributes to clogged pores and pimples.
HOW TO AVOID FOODS THAT GIVE YOU PIMPLES
Follow our six simple tips to help you avoid foods that make you break out:
1. CROWD YOUR PLATE WITH FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- These foods are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Fill up of these foods to make less room for foods that make you break out.
2. FLUSH OUT TOXINS
- Reduce sugary cravings by drinking plenty of water or unsweetened tea.
- Stir two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar into a glass of water and drink after a rich meal if you need balance your blood sugar levels.
3. MORE NATURAL VITAMIN A
- Keep spinach, carrots, kale, papaya, cantaloupe and sweet potatoes on your menu.
- Vitamin A reduces sebum and helps skin cells regenerate.
4. EAT DARK CHOCOLATE
- That’s right – snacking on dark chocolate is a great antioxidant boost.
- Cocoa contains antioxidants, which can help to fight free radicals in your skin.
5. LOAD UP ON NATURAL VITAMIN C
- Citrus fruits, broccoli and bean sprouts are high in vitamin C and should be on your plate.
- Vitamin C helps your skin produce collagen for a fresh complexion
6. FILL UP ON OMEGA-3 AND OMEGA-6
- Think salmon, avocados, nuts and olive oil.
- These unsaturated fatty acids help keep your skin supple.
- Breakouts are never easy, and the trick is to look after your skin as best as possible to avoid breakouts. It’s important to find out the causes of your acne, pimples and blackheads, so that you can find the most suitable ways to prevent pimples and acne as best as possible.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use.