Your skin’s outer layer, the epidermis, is covered with a fine film of water and lipids. This film keeps skin feeling smooth or moisturised. Without the right balance of moisture, your skin is not itself.
- Protection – Skin can only perform its task as the body’s protective barrier if it has sufficient moisture.
- Prevents Drying Out – Skin lipids regulate moisture balance and minimise water loss. This stops skin from becoming tight and dry.
- Prevents Bacteria Growth – Moisture in skin helps maintain balance, preventing the penetration of fungi and bacteria.
- Regeneration – Without moisture in the skin, the message to build new skin cells cannot be properly transmitted.
- Elasticity – Without water in the skin, every small movement or vibration would make the skin tear.