WHY IS MOISTURE SO IMPORTANT FOR OUR SKIN?
Your skin’s outer layer, the epidermis, is covered with a fine film of water and lipids. This film keeps skin feeling smooth or moisturised. Without the right balance of moisture, your skin is not itself.
- Protection – Skin can only perform its task as the body’s protective barrier if it has sufficient moisture.
- Prevents Drying Out – Skin lipids regulate moisture balance and minimise water loss. This stops skin from becoming tight and dry.
- Prevents Bacteria Growth – Moisture in skin helps maintain balance, preventing the penetration of fungi and bacteria.
- Regeneration – Without moisture in the skin, the message to build new skin cells cannot be properly transmitted.
- Elasticity – Without water in the skin, every small movement or vibration would make the skin tear.
HOW TO KEEP SUFFICIENT MOISTURE IN SKIN
To ensure that your body is always supplied well with moisture, try to:
- Drink between 1 ½ to 2 litres of water, or unsweetened tea per day.
- Apply moisture-supporting products such as NIVEA Express Hydration Body Lotion daily.
- Take warm, short showers, instead of hot, long ones.
- Pat yourself down to dry off, instead of rubbing, to retain as much moisture as you can when you moisturise.
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Stay out of the sun where possible.
- Applying lip balm regularly.
Give your hands some love when they need it.