If your skin’s feeling a little less soft and supple than usual, trust us – a body lotion or moisturiser will quickly become your new best friend. When environmental and lifestyle factors impact your body’s ability to clutch on to moisture, a body lotion or moisturiser will keep your skin hydrated and elastic, encourage cell turnover, and preserve those valuable moisture levels to prevent dry, flakey skin from coming back. Say bye-bye to dryness and hello to long-lasting hydration!
Here’s what happened...
Why and how does skin dry out?
There’s an array of reasons why your skin might be prone to dryness. Here are some of the most common causes of skin dryness:
- Winter: Your skin is especially prone to dryness over winter. The cooler months – and the cold air and wind that comes with them can dry out your skin. In addition, enjoying a hot shower and/or heater can also cause dryness of the skin. This is because they can zap the moisture from your skin, leaving it dry and flakey.
- Summer: It’s not just the cold that can dry out your skin – summer often spells a bit of unwanted dryness, too! High temperatures, as well as UV light, can dehydrate your skin.
- Lifestyle factors: Stress and certain dietary habits, like eating too much salt, can impact your skin’s moisture levels.
- H20: Not drinking enough water can lead to dehydration, which can also tend to dry out skin.
- Medication: In some cases, particular medications can cause a drop in moisture levels. It’s best to consult your doctor if you feel this might be the case.
How do body lotions and moisturisers work?
It’s no secret we love a good moisturiser, especially for the body. Body lotions are designed to stop moisture leaving your skin, or absorb water from elsewhere to keep your skin soft, smooth and hydrated – hooray! Body lotions and moisturisers tend to fall into categories depending on your skin type and the ingredient you may need for perfect nourishment.
Humectants draw water in from the atmosphere and from the lower layers of your skin. They can also help slow down evaporation. Glycerin is one of our fave humectants, so a body moisturiser or lotion that contains this nourishing ingredient will do wonders for your skin. Try NIVEA Crème!