STEPS FOR PROPER HAND WASHING AND CARE
1. FIND THE RIGHT SOAP:
To prevent the skin from drying out as a result of washing, it is essential to choose the right soap and rich follow-up care.
When buying soaps, make sure that they have the mildest possible formula. These products do not attack the natural acid mantle of the skin as much. It is best to choose a soap that contains natural skin care oils to prevent your hands from drying out. If you have particularly sensitive skin, you should also pay attention to the "pH-neutral" label. Unsure whether you should use a Soap Bar or Liquid Soap? It doesn't really make a difference whether you use liquid soap or a bar of soap. However, in public facilities, it is important not to share a bar of soap, but rather opt for a liquid. This is because more bacteria tends to accumulate on soap bars.
2. FIND THE RIGHT HAND CREAM:
Don't forget to apply a rich nourishing hand cream after washing your hands. With every wash, removing the dirt also means stripping the skin of natural protective oils. Particularly frequent washing, which can strain the skin and dry it out. Applying cream can help out all of this.
Depending on how often you wash your hands, e.g. for professional reasons, and how dry they are there are many different creams suitable for you.
- An extra rich hand cream such as NIVEA 3 in 1 Repair Care Hand Cream for chapped hands has a moisturizing effect and accelerates the healing process.
- A hand cream for normal skin is ideal for maintaining a well-groomed actual condition of hands and nails.
- For people who work at the computer or handle important documents, a quickly absorbed cream is particularly practical. It does not leave greasy fingerprints.
- An anti-age hand cream such as enriched with Q10 can help prevent skin aging on the hands.
WHY PROPER HAND WASHING IS SO IMPORTANT?
Everyone knows that washing hands is a non negotiable. But not a lot of people know why, or how often their hands should be washed.
Our hands are in use and in contact with people and objects all day long. Whether we are holding onto something on the train, typing on a phone or blowing our nose with a handkerchief: bacteria and germs are left behind by touching surfaces on our hands.
By washing our hands regularly and properly, we get rid of potential pathogens, which is critical to maintain proper health. Almost 80 percent of all illnesses are transmitted via the hands - especially gastrointestinal infections, conjunctivitis and flu. At the same time, bacteria and dirt can get through the hands to the skin on the face and cause pimples.
You should wash your hands in the following environments:
- After using the bathroom
- After blowing their nose or sneezing
- If you have been in contact with sick people
- After petting animals
- If you have touched animal food
- After taking out the garbage
- After putting on make-up
- After coming into contact with food, for example, before cooking and especially if you touched raw meat or raw fish
- If you have worked in the garden
WHEN AND WHY SHOULD I DISINFECT MY HANDS?
Anyone who washes their hands regularly and thoroughly in everyday life is already doing enough for their hand hygiene. The number of germs is considerably reduced - and with it the risk of infection.
In medical facilities such as hospitals, disinfecting the hands is essential to prevent the spread of pathogens. This applies in particular to nursing and medical staff. But also as a visitor you protect patients in this way, who usually have a weakened immune system and are therefore susceptible to infectious diseases.
If you are caring for a relative at home, please discuss with your family doctor whether disinfecting your hands is advisable.