Ocean algae are one of the best skin care ingredients when it comes to revitalising the skin. Their healing, revitalising and strengthening properties provide many health and beauty benefits. For centuries, different cultures around the world have traditionally used marine algae for skin, hair and beauty care.
Other than their hailed beautifying properties, ocean algae also provides the majority of our planet’s oxygen supply through photosynthesis.
There are over 20,000 species of algae growing under the sea. Fucus vesiculosus, more commonly known as bladder wrack, is an ocean algae found on the coasts of the North Sea, the western Baltic Sea, and the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. As an ingredient, this effective antioxidant is very common in skin care products due to its long list of beneficial properties for the skin, including:
- Water-binding – full of natural minerals and vitamins, ocean algae nourishes dehydrated skin, leaving it moisturised, plumper, and more youthful-looking.
- Anti-ageing – ocean algae works to visibly reduce fine lines and other signs of aging by fighting inflammation and hindering free radicals that disrupt our melanin production and cause our skin tone to become uneven.
- Anti-inflammatory – ocean algae contains B-complex vitamins, calcium, iodine, iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium, sulphur, and silicon to help reduce harmful inflammation in the skin.
- Skin strengthening – ocean algae helps to strengthen the elastin tissues in our skin, which helps it to appear firm, youthful and smooth.
- Soothing – ocean algae helps to soothe itchiness and stinging associated with dryness, acne-prone skin, or eczema.
- Boosting the skin’s metabolism – as rich sources of vital substances including, minerals, vitamins, trace elements, amino acids, antioxidants and iodine, ocean alga are known to support your skin’s metabolism which degenerates as we mature.
Using an exfoliator with ocean algae to gently remove any dead skin cells will help you achieve a natural, youthful glow. Excessive dead skin cells diffuse the light around you and can make your skin appear dull. Exfoliating your dead skin cells away helps to reveal the healthy, light reflecting skin underneath.
NIVEA’s Daily Essentials 2 In 1 Face Wash & Scrub formulated with ocean algae & Hydra IQ deeply cleanses & refines pores with micro scrubs for pure and shine-free skin.
This purifying formula also helps to reduce excess oil to prevent shine and enhance your skin's natural moisturisation. Ocean Algae helps to vitalise the skin to keep it looking healthy and radiant.