Cucumbers have been cultivated for over 3,000 years, firstly in India. Cucumbers were popular not only as a food source, but also because of their beneficial skin healing properties.
Rich in minerals and vitamins A, B, C and E, cucumber has a cooling effect, helping to calm irritations, revitalise the skin and gently soothe delicate areas of skin like the lips and around the eyes. Cucumbers are also 96% water so are great to incorporate into your diet to keep hydration levels up. This high water content helps your body flush out any built-up toxins as well.
Cucumber extract is a very gentle ingredient and is suitable for use with all skin types. It is known for its many beneficial skin care properties, including:
- Hydrating - cucumbers, like aloe vera, contain polysaccharides, a type of natural carbohydrate, which create an invisible barrier on your skin to attract and retain moisture.
- Astringent and anti-inflammatory - cucumbers have astringent properties, meaning they cause your skin cells to contract and tighten. These properties also help to improve the appearance of large pores and acne.
- Cooling and soothing - The cooling effects of cucumber are wonderful for soothing dry, red and overly sensitive skin types. Products with cucumber extract are also good to use after excessive exposure to the sun to cool the skin.
Here are some simple, homemade remedies for healthy, hydrated skin, using cucumber:
1. Hydrating after sun facemask
Puree half a cucumber and a spoonful of yoghurt in a blender or food processor. Apply the mixture all over your sun burned face, neck and shoulders. Lie down on a towel and try to relax for about 15 minutes. Rinse off with luke-warm water. The cucumber should take some if not most of the heat out of your skin and leave you feeling hydrated.
2. Relieve puffy eyes
One of the oldest tricks in the book. Lying down, apply slices of fresh cucumber on top of closed, puffy eyes
. Even after 10 minutes, the cucumber will help to tighten and sooth the inflamed skin around the eyes.
3. Cucumber salad or side dish
Hydrating from inside and out is more effective. Incorporate chopped cucumber into salads or even mix with some natural yoghurt and fresh garlic for a refreshing dip or side dish.
NIVEA’s Aqua Sensation Invigorating Face Day Cream
with Hydra IQ
and cucumber extract is a light intensive moisturiser for normal and combination skin.
This hydrating formula works to instantly invigorate your skin and provide you with a long lasting moisturising effect.