LIP BALM: FOR SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL KISSES!
PARTICULARLY DELICATE SKIN
Our lips need plenty of care, as the skin on them is extremely sensitive. Along with our fingertips, our lips have the most sensory cells and are therefore our most sensitive connection to the outside world. That’s why kissing is so enjoyable!
Your lips are sensitive
The skin on our lips is so soft and thin that the blood vessels can be seen through it. That’s what gives our lips their red colour. Our lips don’t have any sebum or sweat glands, which are responsible for supplying our skin with oil and moisture. And the corneal layer, which protects our skin from harmful environmental influences, is very thin on our lips, as well. Our lips are therefore dependent on care and protection from the outside. This is why you should use lip balm, such as NIVEA Hydro Care Lip Balm once in a while.
Your lips need protection!
It’s not just a question of beauty: dry and chapped lips cause pain. Four potential reasons for chapped, cracked or dry are:
4 reasons for chapped, cracked and dry lips
- Cold: the most common cause of dry lips is the rapid change between hot and cold. That’s why we have chapped lips especially in winter.
- Incorrect care: only in very rare cases are the ingredients of conventional moisturisers suitable for the soft and sensitive skin on our lips.
- UV radiation: as lips have almost no pigments, they need to be well protected from exposure to sunlight.
- Stress: long days at work, along with mental stress, have a negative effect on the condition of our skin. And our lips are no exception.
INDULGENT MOMENTS FOR YOUR LIPS
Here’s how to nurture your way to beautiful lips
As your lips cannot produce any moisture for themselves, when water evaporates from the lips, they can dry out. That's why its important to give your lips plenty of care. Lip balms usually contain higher oil content and beeswax which can help seal in moisture.
Apply a lip balm to your lips everyday to keep your lips soft and supple.As well as applying lip balms or lip butters regularly, here are our tips for velvety-soft lips:
4 tips for velvety-soft lips
- Remove excess skin cells: massage your lips twice a week with a soft toothbrush and lukewarm water or a homemade scrub.
- Do not chew on your lips. This dries out the sensitive skin.
- Don’t forget to care for your lips: lip balm protects and soothes your lips, leaving them with a nice shine.
- Avoid food that is too salty. Crisps and snack foods in particular unnecessarily dry out the lips.
Colour for your lips
Got a date or a night with the girls? Lipstick is sure to catch the eye! To ensure your lips not only look great, but also make it through the evening feeling nourished, it’s important to bear in mind a few things: always moisturise your lips with lip balm before applying lipstick, to prevent them from drying out. Once home again, it’s essential to remove your lipstick. Long-lasting lipsticks in particular can only be tackled with a very oily cleansing lotion or cream – apply generously and then remove the lipstick with a cotton pad. To ensure you wake up with delicately soft lips the next morning, never forget to moisturise your lips before going to sleep.
Lip balm – for nourished, soft lips
A stubborn myth: lip balm is addictive! The rumour has been around for a long time that once you start caring for your lips, soon you won’t be able to stop. People believe that instead of protecting your lips from drying out, such products only make things worse. Wrong! In reality, it’s more of a familiarisation effect: if you use lip balm regularly, you’ll get used to the soft feeling that it leaves on your lips.
Smooth lips need proper care on a regular basis
OUR TOP FOUR TIPS FOR SMOOTH LIPS
1. Always have lip balm on hand
Lip balm is the secret ingredient for smooth lips.Keep a good lip balm in your bag at all times.
When applied several times a day, lip balm keeps your lips nourished and plump.
As well as their nourishing power, lip balms also act as a protective layer, blocking the damaging effects of the elements.
3. Add a bit of colour
Certain NIVEA lip balm products like our Pearly Shine Lip Care provide smooth lips with a subtle touch of colour as they nourish.
This tint is perfect for days when you fancy skipping lipstick, but still want to look effortlessly beautiful.
2. Protect your lips from the sun
Use a lip balm with sun protection like NIVEA’s Sun Protect Lip Balm to keep your lips protected and moisturised while you’re out enjoying the sun.
Your lips are very susceptible to sun damage, because the skin on them is so thin and delicate.
Remember to keep reapplying sun protection to ensure your lips are always covered.
LIP CARE MYTHS
1. Chapped lips are contagious
Chapped lips are not contagious in any way.
They are simply the result of environmental factors, such as extreme cold and low humidity.
2. You can become addicted to lip balm
Your lips cannot become addicted to anything.
Lip balm ingredients do not dry out your lips or make it difficult for you to stop using lip balm.
If you are experiencing excessive dryness, check with your GP, as there could be an underlying cause.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use.